Learn how to cook authentic Mexican food from the Yucatan Peninsula with Abuelita Angelita, a native of Campeche. She loves to cook and help people learn to make delicious Mexican foods, such as empanadas, mole, enchiladas suizas, chiles rellenos, relleno negro, pozole and many more!! In addition, participants will have a chance to learn Spanish as her classes are conducted in Spanish! This is an immersion experience and students get to eat what is cooked at the end of class! Check out the Facebook page “Cooking with Abuelita Angelita” to see pictures of dishes and happy participants.
Angelita is happy to teach you to cook authentic Mexican food on Monday through Friday (possible exceptions made for a Saturday class).
NOTE: We have cats in the house, so if someone is allergic, it might not be the best idea to come. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
* How do you schedule a class? Send an email to email@example.com. You can tell me the dates of your trip and a few options that would be ideal for you and your group.
* How much does it cost? The class is 450 pesos per person plus the cost of food divided between the group of participants, usually around 100-200 pesos more per person depending on the size of the group and the dish being prepared.
* Where do we meet? Either Angelita or I will meet you in front of Hotel Sueño Maya on Madero (close to the intersection of Madero and Guerrero) and we will show you the way to our house.
**Find the corner of Madero and Guerrero in Centro. Cien Pies lavandería is on the corner. Walk east on Madero towards the Caribbean. Wait in front of Sueño Maya Hotel and we will meet you there.**
* What time and how long does a class last? The classes begin at 10am and usually last 2 or 2 1/2 hours.
*What is the class size? We need a minimum of 4 people and the limit is 8 people unless people are ok with standing room or being a little tight.
*What are the options to cook? The popular dishes are Mole Oaxaca, Enchiladas Suizas, Empanadas (chicken, cheese or pork), Chiles Rellenos (chicken, cheese or pork), Chilaquiles, Pork and Beans, Tamales and for dessert—Queso Napolitano (like flan but with cream cheese-amazing!!). If you would like to cook something else, we will try our best to accommodate your request.
* You will receive a handout with the bilingual recipes. If you would rather me send you an email copy (and save paper), that’s fine too.
* We offer water but you are welcome to bring other drinks, including beer or wine. 🙂
*Let us know if you have any dietary restrictions and we will do our best to accommodate you.
*If you have access to “to go” containers, please bring them. If not, we have containers to take extra food home after class.
****Effective 1/11/16–there will be a 500 peso cancellation fee (if the cancellation is within 24 hours of the scheduled class) or no show PLUS the cost of food (for the people/person who do/does not show up). This can be payable via Christy Dix’s Paypal account. Thank you for your understanding. ****